Climate and Ecological
On the 12th August we launched the campaign for the Climate and Ecological Emergency (CEE) bill. This is a Private Members’ Bill, and taking it through parliament will be a hard-fought process but it has been done before with major climate legislation. This is an alliance bill that has been written by scientists, lawyers and activists; it is gathering support from a broad range of campaign groups, businesses, charities and individuals. The bill has the potential to become the most significant move forward since the Climate Change Act 2008.
“This Bill outlines the path needed to avoid the catastrophe outlined by the United Nations… it is farsighted aiming to protect those at risk now and in the future.”
Kumi Naidoo, former International Executive Director of Greenpeace International and Secretary General of Amnesty International.
Your support will help grow a strong campaign through grassroots action and alliance-building until MPs back the campaign and an overwhelming parliamentary majority passes the bill.
WHAT IS THE BILL ABOUT?
In a nutshell, the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill calls for:
- the UK to make and enact a serious plan. This means dealing with our real fair share of emissions so that we don’t go over critical global rises in temperature
- our entire carbon footprint be taken into account (in the UK and overseas)
- the protection and conservation of nature here and overseas along supply chains, recognising the damage we cause through the goods we consume
- those in power not to depend on technology to save the day, which is used as an excuse to carry on polluting as usual
- ordinary people to have a real say on the way forward in a citizens’ assembly with bite
“I welcome this campaign for a new Bill on the climate and ecological emergency […]
We can’t wait until 2050 to reach net zero – we will have long missed the moment by then if we are to limit the global average temperature rise to 1.5C. That has to be the goal and is a welcome focus of this Bill.
We are all in this together. We need to come together in our response”
Caroline Lucas, MP
Contact usFirst Name*Last Name*Email*Mobile phoneSend me email updatesSend me text messagesAddress (Street, City, State, Zip)